Monday, February 22, 2010

Three Take-aways About Speech, Privacy, & the Internet

So after checking out Larry Lessig's speech about...speech, privacy and the internet, three points really hit home for me:

1. Our generation is much better at triangulating the truth.

Definitely in agreement here. I don't even think about it when I'm doing something, but whether I'm reading the news or buying a product, I always consult numerous different sources in order to give myself a clearer picture of what it is I am interested in. I think my parent's generation has a much much harder time doing that kind of legwork, whereas for our generation it seems second-nature at this point.

2. The law controls the other elements: markets, code, and norms.

I was confused by this at first, but I think it makes sense. The law definitely has the ability to activate the other elements, I just wonder if it is the most efficient way to activate these things. New law takes forever to become active itself, making me think there must be a better way to get markets, codes, and norms to oscillate a certain way.

3. Information is more costly to erase than it is to let perpetually live.

I think a majority of people still fail to understand that what gets posted on the internet will essentially live forever. It always surprises me how unconcerned and/or ignorant people are with respect to what they post online, as if the information was something they could take back and dispose of when they are done with it.

3 comments:

  1. I love the triangulation thought. It's unbelievably true. I can think of so many conversations (all too often political) with my dad where we see things differently after reading only one article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think prof. Lessig said that the law controls markets, code and norms. As I recall, he was saying that it affects them and that all four (law, markets, code and norms) have a special relationship. He also mentioned several times that law is insignificant and has rather limited power. I also was fascinated by the triangulation idea. It is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all good points, especially regarding triangulation which does come as second nature to most of us.

    i still don't get how people people feel entitled to erasing anything they put up on the internet ... that's how it works, nothing we can do about it ... if you don't like it then should've thought about that beforehand ... ignorance is aplenty.

    ReplyDelete